Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga @ Tynga’s Reviews.
Here are the books I have recently acquired.
NetGalley, for review:
- Frayed by Kara Terzis. [Goodreads] I got approved on NetGalley!!! (Thanks Sourcebooks!) Guys, this is my buddy and fellow book blogger Kara’s book!!!!! aslkgha;sdjflas;fjdlfkadsgha;kasjd;sahgadkghdsklfda
- The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman. [Goodreads] Thanks, Roc! “Irene is a professional spy for the mysterious Library, a shadowy organization that collects important works of fiction from all of the different realities”. This sounds fantastic. There’s an alternate London (ha, reminds me of A Darker Shade of Magic) and supernatural creatures. I CAN’T WAIT.
ARCs & review copies:
- The Last One by Alexandra Olivia. [Goodreads] Thanks, Ballantine Books! It’s about a dystopian Survival-esque reality show. Sound fascinating!
- The Strings of Murder by Oscar de Muriel. [Goodreads] Thanks, Pegasus! “1888: a violinist is brutally murdered in his Edinburgh home… There was no way in or out of the locked music studio. And there are black magic symbols on the floor. The dead man’s maid swears there were three musicians playing before the murder. And the suspects all talk of a cursed violin once played by the Devil himself.” This is absolutely my type of mystery. I’m seriously looking forward to reading it!
From the library:
EDIT: Click on a title to read my review.
- East of West, Volume 1: The Promise by Jonathan Hickman. [Goodreads] 4 stars. Confusing but absolutely intriguing! The leading up to the Apocalypse in a cool sci-fi/western futuristic world.
- Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks. [Goodreads] 3 stars. Good, but lacking on the “haunted” aspect. This is really about friendship and maneuvering high school when you feel like an outcast, as well as judging people based on things you think you know but don’t actually know about them. When the book ended I was all like, “But what about the ghost? What’s the meaning behind her attachment to Maggie?”
- Blue Exorcist, Volume 1 by Kazue Kato, translated by John Werry. [Goodreads] Blame Chiara for making me take out these manga and placing on hold many more. I am so flippin’ excited to get back into manga and hopefully more anime!
- Seconds by Bryan Lee O’Malley. [Goodreads] 5 stars. I’ve been meaning to read this book for years and finally my library got their act together and had it on the shelves! Basically — what if you could go back and fix all the mistake you made? It’s a mind-boggling story that I just slurped up!
- Death Note, Volume 1: Boredom by Tsugumi Ohba, translated by Takeshi Obata. [Goodreads] I’ve heard awesome things about the anime, so I decided, why not try the manga right now?
- Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Volume 1 by Naoko Takeuchi, translated by William Flanagan. [Goodreads] The manga reboot of Sailor Moon! I wasn’t a big fan of Sailor Moon as a kid, because I think I discovered it when I was a bit too young, but now I love Sailor Moon and really want to get into it!
- Ms. Marvel, Volume 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson. [Goodreads] 3 stars. Pretty good. Definitely going to try to ease my way into the Marvel universe from here.
What books have you recently added to your collection?
And have you read any of the books I just acquired?
If so, which should I start ASAP?