The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer.
Last week on the blog:
- On Sunday, I posted last-last week’s Sunday Post.
- On Monday, I reviewed Earth and Sky by Megan Crewe. Aliens and time travel! Fun book, if a bit frustrating. Time travel rules are so confusing.
- On Tuesday, I reviewed Tangled Webs by Lee Bross. So disappointing… The plot fell out the window — and then there was that insta-love. Yuck.
- On Wednesday, I Waited on Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas. I CAN’T WAIT!!!
- On Thursday, I reviewed From a Distant Star by Karen McQuestion. Another good alien book. Great friendship story, and bonus road trip!
- On Friday, I reviewed Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. I was spoiled for the twist at the end, but I still really liked this quick read about a girl who is allergic to, well, everything.
- On Saturday, I reviewed Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo. This cracked me up so hard! And Kate DiCamillo delivers another stellar middle grade novel, this time about a superhero squirrel!
What I read:
EDIT: Click on a title to read my review!
- Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. 3.5 stars.
- Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo, illustrated by K.G. Campbell. 5 stars!
- Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. 5 stars! HOLY RAVIOLI THIS WAS PHENOMENAL. Unlike anything I’ve ever read before. I’m hooked. THE HYPE IS REAL, GUYS.
- Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice adapted by Stacy King, illustrated by Po Tse. Such a fun book! Also, my very first manga!
- Amulet, Book 5: Prince of the Elves by Kazu Kibuishi. 3 stars. Felt like filler, honestly, and just a setup for the next book.
- Amulet, Book 6: Escape from Lucien by Kazu Kibuishi. 3 stars. Wait… I thought the series was over but I just learned there are going to be three more books. Well, okay. Now I’m all caught up. Lots of dialogue here, probably more than previous books. And this installment was pretty dark. Maybe the darkest of them all, so far? Also, Dagno was barely in this, and I love and miss my baby wyvern! The series has lost a bit of its steam, though…
- Manga Classics: Les Miserables adapted by Crystal Silvermoon, script by Stacy King, illustrated by SunNeko Lee. 4 stars. I felt like I was reading a manga version of the movie musical. Which wasn’t a bad thing at all! I liked Pride and Prejudice better than Les Miserables in terms of Manga Classics, but that’s also because Les Mis is just such a depressing story…
- The Red Chameleon by Erica Wright. 3 stars. Decent crime novel set in NYC. Cool-enough protagonist/private investigator. But a lot of characters to keep track of. And a bit of a sprawling plot.
Soon to be reviewed:
EDIT: Click on a title to read my review!
- Fall with Me by J. Lynn, aka Jennifer L. Armentrout. I’ve got a lot of notes that I typed out a while ago, so this review shouldn’t be too hard to write.
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson. Didn’t take notes for this one, though I probably should have. This might be a mini-review.
- Amulet, Books #3, #4, #5, and #6 by Kazu Kibuishi. I’ll be doing a joint review of these four books, and give you my overall thoughts on the series thus far!
- Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. I’ll be writing a mini-review, but I’m unsure if I’ll publish the one review or wait until I can post a few mini-reviews in one post together…
- Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice adapted by Stacy King, illustrated by Po Tse. I’ll be doing a mini-review of this along with Manga Classics: Les Miserables in the same post.
- Manga Classics: Les Miserables adapted by Crystal Silvermoon, script by Stacy King, illustrated by SunNeko Lee.
- The Red Chameleon by Erica Wright.
- The Cage by Megan Shepard. Humans in a zoo for alien entertainment. Not super far into it, but it’s very interesting so far, and downright creepy.
- Zeroboxer by Fonda Lee. Boxing in zero-gravity. Not completely up my alley, but it’s original and very cool.
- Hunter by Mercedes Lackey. Only a chapter in but… the entire first chapter was exposition exposition exposition! Not off to a great start.
The books I acquired:
- Crystal Magic by Madeline Freeman. Benjaminoftomes’ Free Book Friday pick of the week!
The library haul:
Here’s what I picked up from the library this week.
- Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. 5 stars!
- Amulet, Book 5: Prince of the Elves by Kazu Kibuishi. 3 stars.
- Amulet, Book 6: Escape from Lucien by Kazu Kibuishi. 3 stars.
- Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice adapted by Stacy King, illustrated by Po Tse. 4 stars.
- Manga Classics: Les Miserables adapted by Crystal Silvermoon, script by Stacy King, illustrated by SunNeko Lee. 4 stars.
In other news…
It’s my one year blogiversary tomorrow! I can’t thank you guys enough for making The Leaning Tower of Tomes grow into the blog it is today. Sappy, I know, but true. It’s been a terrific year. I’ve learned so much, and I intend to keep learning more! 😀
What are you currently reading?